Tuesday 28 October 2014

Tedtalks but Derek plays!

Since starting the PCET course I've found out so many new things and I have to say that learning about Tedtalks is one of my favourites! I have found myself searching and listening to people share and talk about their lives and ideas.
 
I had been searching Tedtalks for talks around The Autism Spectrum Disorder. I work with adults with learning disabilities and most of the residents are on the spectrum and I find the condition very fascinating. Each person is affected to various degrees. The other reason is that my family have recently found out that my nephew is on the spectrum although he still has a way to go to finding out the extend of his condition. We are all glad that he is able to start his discovery and we as a family can help and support him better.
 
I found and listened to many people talk about ASD but listening to those who are on the spectrum is far more interesting and inspiring to me.  I found a talk called 'Derek Paravicini and Adam Ockelford: in the key of genius'. Derek is an inspirational person. He is a musical savant, a piano player, is blind and has severe Autism. He has overcome so many barriers in his life and I have nothing but respect for him and for all he has accomplished.

I even had a go at learning the piano when I was younger and I think its safe to say I was not any good! Please watch this video, enjoy and be inspired!






No comments:

Post a Comment