Wednesday 26 November 2014

Main points to Powerpoint

I have a vague recollection of being taught how to use Powerpoint in school and have dipped in and out of that knowledge for various different presentations that I have needed to create over the years. I obviously took in how to create a simple presentation using the slides and understood how to put information, photos and videos on. The other 'special effects' that can be added onto the presentation I found with a little bit of searching.
 
The thing that I wasn't taught or didn't remember was how to use Powerpoint effectively and which effects work best in which situations. After being shown and given pointers I realised that I need to apologise to anyone who ever sat in a presentation I gave! 
 
The main points that I have learned are:
  • Keep it simple - Do not overload a page with reels of words and information. Short points which you can explain will keep students listening.
  • No more than 6 - Do not use more than 6 items (pictures/points) on a slide.
  • Appropriate size - Make the most important information the biggest font. This is one I would always do. I would make the headings large and the most important information small, why did I do this?!
  • Highlighting words - If you highlight the word/sentence that you are explaining then this immediately focuses the students on that particular piece of information and their eyes are not wandering around the rest of the slide.
These points I took on board and immediately changed the Powerpoint presentation I had already prepared. They are simple points which enhance that presentation and more importantly help the students in that classroom concentrate and aid their learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment